Site icon Realist: news and analytics

Israel prepares strike on Iran: leak of uranium capture plan causes scandal in Knesset

Photo: Pentagon Press Service.

TEHRAN (Realist English). The diplomatic process between the United States and Iran has entered its final stage, but military rhetoric on both sides continues to escalate. Israel, despite disagreements with Washington, has completed joint preparations for possible strikes on Iran and continues daily attacks on Lebanon, effectively ignoring the ceasefire regime.

“Last chance” for diplomacy

On May 21, US President Donald Trump stated that negotiations with Iran are in their “final stage.”

“We will either make a deal or we will do something unpleasant. But I hope that won’t happen,” the American leader said, adding that he is ready to wait “a few days” for Tehran’s response. Trump described the Iranian side as “reasonable people.”

Iran officially confirmed that it is studying the latest US proposal transmitted through Pakistani intermediaries. Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi made his second visit to Tehran in a week.

However, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said that Tehran maintains “deep distrust” of Washington, recalling the “very bad track record” of the United States. Iran insists on its 14-point peace plan, which includes unfreezing assets, ending “maritime piracy,” and a complete cessation of hostilities on all fronts, including the Lebanese front.

The negotiations are accompanied by threats from both sides. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) warned that if aggression against Iran is repeated, the war will extend beyond the region, and “crushing strikes will turn the enemy to ashes.” Iran’s chief negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, accused the United States of trying to “force Iran into capitulation” and provoke a new war.

Trump, for his part, announced on May 19 that he had been ready to launch new attacks but temporarily postponed them, calling the current phase the “last chance” for diplomacy.

Israel: readiness for strike and tension with Washington

Israel continues to build up military activity on the Iranian front. According to state television channel Kan TV, the United States and Israel are “fully coordinated” and have completed joint preparations for a possible resumption of military operations against Iran. A decision could be made in the near future. The Chief of Staff of the IDF, Lieutenant Colonel Eyal Zamir, stated that the army is at its “highest level of combat readiness.”

A scandal was caused by a leak on the right‑wing Channel 14, close to Netanyahu’s government. The channel revealed details of a possible joint US‑Israeli plan to capture enriched uranium in Isfahan. According to IAEA estimates, Iran has accumulated more than 400 kg of uranium enriched to 60%, with more than half stored in underground tunnels at depths exceeding 90 meters.

The opposition in the Knesset demanded an emergency session, accusing the channel of “reckless disclosure of operational information.”

At the same time, disagreements between Trump and Netanyahu are intensifying. According to CNN and Axios, the leaders’ phone call on May 19 was “tense” and “difficult.” One source said: “Netanyahu’s hair stood on end.” The Israeli prime minister is skeptical about the diplomatic process, believing that delaying a strike is a mistake that benefits only Iran.

Netanyahu insists on a more aggressive approach and the complete destruction of Iran’s military infrastructure, while Trump is still inclined to give diplomacy another chance. Israel also fears that Iran could launch a preemptive strike if negotiations drag on.

Lebanese front: a ceasefire only on paper

The situation on the Lebanese front remains critical. Despite the formal 45‑day extension of the ceasefire, hostilities continue almost daily. On May 21, Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon killed eight civilians, including entire families. Residential buildings were destroyed. Hezbollah responded by shelling Israeli military positions.

The total number of deaths in Lebanon since the start of the military escalation on March 2 has reached 3,089, with 9,397 wounded. More than one million people have been forced to leave their homes. Lebanon’s economy, according to local authorities, could contract by 7–10% in 2026 due to the hostilities.

On May 21, the United States imposed sanctions on nine individuals linked to Hezbollah, accusing them of “obstructing the peace process” in Lebanon.

Final phase

The negotiating process between the United States and Iran is in its decisive phase. There has been some progress on the Strait of Hormuz — Tehran has again begun allowing ships to pass. However, the fate of the nuclear program and the conditions for lifting sanctions remain stumbling blocks.

A final agreement has not yet been signed, and each side continues to use military rhetoric to strengthen its negotiating position. Domestic pressure on Trump is growing due to gasoline prices and approval ratings ahead of the midterm elections, pushing him toward a deal, but at the same time he cannot ignore the hardline position of Netanyahu and the hawks in his own camp.

Under these circumstances, the situation remains explosive: any spark could shatter the fragile ceasefire and lead to a new full‑scale war.

Exit mobile version