MOSCOW (Realist English). Russian chief of the General Staff and commander of the joint forces in Ukraine, Army General Valery Gerasimov, has declared the spring–summer 2025 campaign a success, citing territorial gains of more than 3,500 square kilometers and the capture of 149 settlements. He also outlined new operational goals for the autumn phase of what Moscow calls its “special military operation.”
Speaking on Saturday, Gerasimov said Russian troops continued “uninterrupted offensive actions across almost the entire frontline.” According to his figures, Russian forces now control 99.7% of Luhansk (with less than 60 sq km remaining under Ukrainian control) and 79% of Donetsk, as well as 74% of Zaporizhzhia and 76% of Kherson regions.
Frontline breakdown
Gerasimov said Russia’s northern grouping had created a “security zone” after repelling Ukrainian incursions in Kursk region, seizing 210 sq km and 13 settlements in Sumy region. In Kharkiv, fighting continued near Vovchansk and Lyptsi.
On the Kupyansk axis, Russian troops “almost completely blocked” the city and took control of half its territory, while in Rubtsi sector forces advanced up to 25 km, capturing 10 villages. Heavy battles were reported in Krasny Liman, where Gerasimov said Ukrainian units had been pushed back to the Siversky Donets river.
He claimed Russian paratroopers seized Chasiv Yar, a strategic town west of Bakhmut, and were pushing towards Kostiantynivka. In the Aleksandro-Kalinovo area, five settlements including Shcherbinivka and Kleban-Byk were taken.
Further south, Russian “Center” grouping advanced into Krasnoarmiysk (Pokrovsk) after breaching defenses on the Donetsk–Dnipropetrovsk border. The “East” grouping captured 25 settlements, including Kamyshevakha, while “Dnepr” grouping took six villages in Zaporizhzhia and pushed towards Orikhiv.
Strikes on Ukraine’s defense industry
Gerasimov emphasized continued precision strikes on Ukraine’s defense sector. He said 76 key sites were hit in spring–summer, including facilities producing long-range drones and missiles.
In late August, he claimed Russian forces struck enterprises in Kyiv, including Spetsoboronmash, Kyiv Radio Plant, and Ukrspecsystems, as well as multiple air bases. Overnight, he said, further strikes hit Yuzhmash and Motor Sich factories, along with chemical plants involved in missile fuel production.
Ukrainian losses and Russian recognition
According to Gerasimov, Ukraine has concentrated its resources on slowing the Russian advance, suffering “heavy losses” and shifting elite brigades between sectors. He asserted that “the strategic initiative is now fully with Russian forces.”
He credited Russia’s defense industry for timely supply of precision weapons but highlighted that “the decisive role belongs to our soldiers and officers.” More than 120,000 servicemen received state honors for bravery in the campaign, including over 100,000 soldiers and sergeants.
Russian battalion, regiment and brigade commanders, he said, had “fully mastered” modern combined-arms tactics and were introducing “new methods” in combat operations.
Next phase
Gerasimov confirmed Russian offensives would continue into the autumn. “Tasks for the groupings on all axes have been clarified for the upcoming period,” he said.
The general’s remarks underscore Moscow’s push to frame the campaign as steadily advancing, even as Ukrainian officials report fierce resistance and continued fighting across multiple fronts.