Realist: news and analytics

Русский / English / العربية

  • News
  • Russia
  • Caucasus
  • Opinion
  • Interviews
  • Experts
No Result
View All Result
Realist: news and analytics
  • News
  • Russia
  • Caucasus
  • Opinion
  • Interviews
  • Experts
No Result
View All Result
Realist: news and analytics

Tankers risk everything to exit Hormuz: crew deaths, seizures and millions in losses

Vitol, Trafigura and Mercuria spent weeks trying to rescue their fleets, but many vessels remain trapped.

     
April 23, 2026, 15:43
Business & Energy
Tankers risk everything to exit Hormuz: crew deaths, seizures and millions in losses

Ships in the Strait of Hormuz as seen from Khasab, Musandam Governorate, Oman. Photo: EPA

LONDON (Realist English). The small tanker Akti A, carrying 300,000 barrels of diesel fuel, made a risky transit through the Strait of Hormuz in the early hours of April 18 – immediately after Iran briefly declared the waterway “completely open.” The vessel, operated by Danish shipping line Maersk but chartered by commodity trader Vitol, had been sitting fully loaded off the coast of Bahrain for weeks, while Iranian drones and missiles struck other ships around it.

Luck was with the Akti A. Shortly after the tanker passed through the strait’s bottleneck, Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) gunboats re‑entered the waters. The vessel is now heading around the Cape of Good Hope. But not everyone has been so fortunate.

The cost of evacuation: millions and human lives

For the world’s largest energy traders, evacuating their tankers stuck in the Persian Gulf since the war began on February 28 has become one of the most difficult tasks. It costs millions of dollars in insurance, maintenance and additional port charges. For some, the price has been even higher: on March 12, an Iranian attack on two naphtha‑carrying vessels transporting cargo for Vitol killed one crew member, and the tankers themselves were engulfed in flames.

Over the eight weeks of conflict, certain escape routes have opened and quickly closed again. Transiting the strait can take up to eight hours, meaning diplomatic conditions can change before vessels complete their exit.

On April 22, the IRGC attacked three container ships, later claiming that two of them had been seized and towed into Iranian territorial waters. If confirmed, this would be Iran’s first seizure of ships since the start of the war.

A window of opportunity that slammed shut

The clearest chance for ships to get out came on April 17, when Iran declared the strait “completely open” in response to the announcement of a ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon. Shipowners rapidly began moving their vessels toward the strait, hoping for a quick exit despite the risk of mines.

But the fragile opportunity did not last long. By the morning of April 18, Iran’s military said the strait would remain under its control, and safe passage would only be guaranteed for vessels approved by the IRGC.

Peter Weernink, CEO of Swiss Marine, a shipping company, said he instructed one of his ships to transit on April 17. But by the time the Chinese owner of the vessel had checked with the Chinese government, it was the morning of April 18 – and everything had changed. The ship did not make the transit.

“They will only go through when there’s no risk,” Weernink explained at the FT Commodities Summit on April 22. “You really need clarity that there won’t be attacks, and it needs to be confirmed by both sides that the ship will go through.”

The Omani channel and Trafigura’s success

Some strategies have relied on partnerships with countries that have close ties to Iran. Iran has shown a more lenient attitude toward vessels flying the flags of Pakistan and China, and has suggested that passage could be paid for in cryptocurrency. Oman, which has good relations with Tehran, has moved its own ships close to its coastline.

When the war broke out, trading house Trafigura, which controls a global fleet of more than 375 tankers, had 10 vessels stuck inside the Persian Gulf. Trafigura CEO Richard Holtum said that even today nine vessels remain trapped – these are chartered vessels that have been sub‑chartered to other companies and are not carrying Trafigura cargoes.

The only tanker that Trafigura managed to get out was the Omani‑owned vessel Dhalkut. It exited on April 2 as part of a three‑ship convoy, all linked to Oman, hugging the Omani coast.

Trading house Mercuria had three ships in the Gulf when the war began – and all of them have now exited, according to sources close to the company. However, Mercuria CEO Marco Dunand refused to disclose how it was done, citing the sensitivity of the information. “There are various ways to do it,” he said at the FT conference on April 21. “But I’m not going to tell you.” He added that “more ships are going through Hormuz than people think.”

Cruise ships and MSC: risks without GPS

Tankers are not the only vessels making the transit. On April 18, a small flotilla of cruise ships – one from MSC Cruises and two from Tui – also passed through the strait. Tui said that “no funds were paid to Iran for safe passage” and that the transit, which went via the Omani coast, “took place based on the relevant co‑ordination and approvals from the authorities.”

Those vessels that are more likely to be targeted – for example, MSC Group, which has business partnerships with Israel – have tried to slip through without their GPS transponders on. According to ship tracking data, six MSC ships left the strait over the weekend with their transponders off. However, the two vessels that the IRGC claimed to have seized on April 22 – the Francesca and Epaminondas – were either chartered or owned by MSC. MSC declined to comment on the transits or attacks.

To pay or not to pay?

All three major traders – Trafigura, Mercuria and Vitol – have stated that they did not pay for passage, which would risk breaching US sanctions on Iran. But Mercuria’s global head of freight, Larry Johnson, expressed frustration at governments’ inaction, saying politicians were “burying their heads in the sand.”

“There’s no concerted effort to formalise a way to put a ship through Hormuz,” Johnson said. “The ships that we have seen transit through Hormuz tend to be government‑owned vessels that have access, perhaps, to naval or military forces, or at least government‑to‑government channels of communication, perhaps with the Iranian regime. Pure merchant traders have no real mechanism to navigate that.”

Blockade and ship movements

The blockade announced by Washington on April 13 was initially limited to Iranian ports, formally not closing transit through the strait to non‑Iranian ports. However, after a short and chaotic window of “opening” on April 20, movement has effectively ceased again. As of the morning of April 23, only one or two vessels were passing through the strait, and another vessel (the MSC Francesca) was again detained by Iranian forces at the entrance to the corridor.

The vast majority of tankers and container ships that attempt to pass are turning back, waiting in the Persian Gulf, or risking the long route around Africa via the Cape of Good Hope, which adds 10–15 days to the journey and sharply increases costs.

After the US blockade was imposed, the IRGC sharply increased its military presence. Satellite images show swarms of more than 30 Iranian gunboats off the coast of the strait, posing an unprecedented threat to any commercial vessel. Clashes occur almost daily:

  • April 17–18 (first wave of attacks): The IRGC shelled several vessels, including an Indian‑flagged tanker carrying crude oil.
  • April 22 (peak escalation): Iranian forces seized two container ships – the MSC Francesca and MSC Epaminondas. The vessels were towed into Iranian territorial waters on the pretext of “rule violations” and the illegal disabling of GPS navigation.

This has forced most major trading houses to hastily evacuate their assets.

The insurance premium for a ship to transit the strait has jumped 12‑fold – from 0.25% to 3% of the vessel’s value. The beneficiaries of the crisis have been traders who made money on the difference between spot oil prices and on the shortage of tonnage by declaring force majeure on previously concluded contracts.

The blockade has triggered a global logistics collapse. Due to the need to go around Africa, the idling of commercial vessels in the conflict zone, and massive delays, freight rates have risen, automatically increasing the cost of imported goods worldwide. Turkey has urgently developed five alternative routes (including land corridors through Iraq and Syria, and combinations of sea‑to‑land reloading), but they cannot yet compensate for the closure of the water artery.

Energy TransitionIranIran WarIran’s EconomyIranian Armed ForcesIRGCMiddle EastTransport And CommunicationsWorld Economy
Previous Post

Germany plans to become Europe’s strongest military within 15 years

Next Post

Armenian Genocide: 111 years of tragedy and memory of 1.5 million victims

Related Posts

Iran stores 42 million barrels on ageing tankers in the Gulf
Business & Energy

Iran stores 42 million barrels on ageing tankers in the Gulf

19 May, 2026
Trump’s war with Iran cost Americans $40 billion in fuel – more than repairing all of America’s bridges
Business & Energy

Trump’s war with Iran cost Americans $40 billion in fuel – more than repairing all of America’s bridges

18 May, 2026
Coal prices hold above $133 amid Hormuz crisis
Business & Energy

Coal prices hold above $133 amid Hormuz crisis

17 May, 2026
$1 trillion a year by 2035: NATO pressures Europe to pay
Business & Energy

$1 trillion a year by 2035: NATO pressures Europe to pay

16 May, 2026
Rosatom dictates prices, China builds 29 reactors, the West scrambles to catch up
Business & Energy

Rosatom dictates prices, China builds 29 reactors, the West scrambles to catch up

15 May, 2026
Oil Market Freezes Awaiting Outcome of Trump–Xi Summit
Business & Energy

Oil Market Freezes Awaiting Outcome of Trump–Xi Summit

14 May, 2026
Most Popular
Most Popular
“Restrictions Alone Are Not Enough — Children Need to Be Engaged”: Paata Amonashvili on Meaningful Alternatives to Gadgets

“Restrictions Alone Are Not Enough — Children Need to Be Engaged”: Paata Amonashvili on Meaningful Alternatives to Gadgets

18 May, 2026

TBILISI (Realist English). Restrictions alone are not enough to overcome children’s dependence on gadgets — children must be offered meaningful...

US and Iran fail to reach Hormuz deal as Trump threatens new strikes

US and Iran fail to reach Hormuz deal as Trump threatens new strikes

18 May, 2026

WASHINGTON (Realist English). The United States and Iran remain far from reaching an agreement to end the war and reopen...

Israel prepares for new war with Iran – from bombing to commando landings

Israel prepares for new war with Iran – from bombing to commando landings

17 May, 2026

TEL AVIV (Realist English). With US‑Iran talks deadlocked, the Israeli leadership has stepped up preparations for a resumption of full‑scale hostilities....

Raúl Castro remains Cuba’s “shadow king”

Raúl Castro remains Cuba’s “shadow king”

17 May, 2026

HAVANA (Realist English). From the very moment in April 2021 when legendary General Raúl Castro, brother of the great Fidel, handed...

Opinion

Replacing Baathists with Islamists: why Kurds and other minorities in Syria have not seen equality

Replacing Baathists with Islamists: why Kurds and other minorities in Syria have not seen equality

19 May, 2026

HASAKAH (Realist English). The overthrow of Bashar al‑Assad and the rise to power in Damascus of radical Islamist groups has not...

Russia seeks its place in China’s new transport corridor

Russia seeks its place in China’s new transport corridor

17 May, 2026

MOSCOW (Realist English). Ahead of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s official visit to Beijing, experts are increasingly discussing the hidden contradictions...

From Hormuz to Solar Panels: How Iran Accelerated the Global Shift to Renewables

From Hormuz to Solar Panels: How Iran Accelerated the Global Shift to Renewables

16 May, 2026

WASHINGTON (Realist English). An analytical article by Benjamin Bradlow, professor of sociology and international affairs at Princeton University, published in...

China No Longer Seeks U.S. Approval

China No Longer Seeks U.S. Approval

15 May, 2026

BEIJING (Realist English). U.S. President Donald Trump’s visit to China on May 14–15 passed with surprising calm and almost none...

All rights reserved.

© 2017-2026

  • About Us
  • Mission and Values
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Follow Realist English

No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Russia
  • Caucasus
  • Opinion
  • Interviews
  • Experts

Русский / English / العربية